Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Shave the small stuff...


As I said in the “Shave the Quails” post, my birthday was the day to shave my head. Well, I did it. While in Pecos, Texas a big bellied barber cut and shaved off my hair. He was very worried I was going to change my mind during the cut and asked several times “you sure you're not going to shoot me?” Needless to say I didn't shoot him.  Rather, I had a huge smile on my face and was relatively at peace. Not having hair makes me feel surprisingly powerful and beautiful. I am blessed to be able to make a choice to help someone who isn't as lucky to have the same choice.  I will be posting the video shortly.

We are currently on a desolate stretch of highway in northern Texas, heading to Big Bend National Park. A moment ago we hurriedly brought the van to a halt so we could catch a glimpse of a pack of javelina (a pig-like animal), a first for both Miles and me. When we reached the van we were so overwhelmed with joy we slapped hands for a hearty high five.

All in all, life is good. Being passionate livers of life, Miles and I continue to push through the rocky, prideful moments, where nothing is going right
 and it may be easier if we packed it in and went home. It is our honesty that gets us through. It is our ability to say “that hurt when you did that” and for the other to listen empathetically. It's not always easy, and it's not always fun but together we continue to keep pushing to see what just might be on the other side.